Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Good idea... Poor priority

First of all, I must say that preaching hate is the lazy way out. If I say I hate Kim Jong Il, what is it gonna mean to anyone? Nothing. I must back up the reasons I feel one way or another, with many many more reasons why I feel that particular way.
Although I think a state-sponsored hit squad in Venezuela is nothing more than a fringe idea hatched out of the mind of Mr. Robertson... He did make an honest argument today that has MOST of the radio airwaves buzzing.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it, we have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's The 700 Club. "We don't need another $200-billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he said of the democratically elected Chavez, who is a frequent critic of U.S. foreign policy.

Notice the CBC is sure to remind readers that Chavez was democratically elected. This is a valid point, for in my opinion, assassinating a freely elected leader, as opposed to a tin-horn dictator, is a different matter entirely(Yugoslavia arguments aside).

If assassination prevents an inevitable war with a huge death toll, what kind of person could be against it?

What would of happened in 2002 if Iraq took the advice of Ari Flecher and inserted a bullet into Hussein's face("allah" Uday)? The fallout of such an action is hypothetical, but certainly things would be different there today than it is now.

If the CBC wants to claim Pat Robertson is insane for advocating the assassination of an elected leader, I can agree with that. By implying the advocation is morally wrong because he was elected, though, the OTHER implication is that assassinating an evil UNELECTED dictator is different and just.

I know the CBC would say they would never advocate any assassination, but by reminding everyone the he was democratically elected... It only serves to emphasize the need to assassinate "stong-armed" ones that are not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home