Saturday, September 17, 2005

Important Dialog

It's been a while since I have read anything this refreshing...

Lefcowitz : I read your book 'The Aquariums of Pyongyang'. It is very important for the people like you to share the experience in North Korea. Thank you for making time for me.
Kang : I thank you for the invitation. Especially, I congratulate you of your appointment as the North Korean human rights special envoy.
This is something the 2.3 million North Koreans must celebrate.

Lefcowitz : What is the most important thing for me to do as a special envoy?

Kang : I believe the most important problems are the North Korean defectors in China, North Korean gulags, and the problem of economic assistance to North Korea. I believe a way must be found through the UN to stop the illegal and forceful repatriation of North Korean defectors back to North Korea by the China and special efforts must be made to dismantle North Korean gulags. North Korea has a system that can be only maintained with foreign aid; therefore the international society jointly must put human rights and economic reform as conditions for the international aid. Here, the South Korean government must side with the international society too, but it decides to provide more assistance by itself (unconditional aid), then North Korea can take advantage of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home